View Single Post
Old December 20, 2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Tex S,

You don't want a bump die for the AR. A bump die sets the shoulder back without resizing the body diameter, which will negatively affect feeding in a self-loader. Many people misuse the term bump to mean limiting shoulder setback with a FL die, but the Forster Bump Die does not misuse the term that way and does not size the body and it is not what you want. You want a full length sizing die, bushing or otherwise, then to set it up to set the shoulder back 0.002" or slightly more.

Personally, because the bushings typically leave a small gap where they fail to complete sizing of the neck all the way to the shoulder, in a self-loader I am more comfortable with a standard die with the neck honed out to the diameter needed by your brass's neck wall thickness. You can buy several Lee dies for modification for the price of one custom die.

P.S., Well I have to partly take back what I said about the Lee dies, as I can't find the sizing dies sold separately anywhere. But two of their basic RGB two-dies sets can be found for under $20, so the cost savings on three of those vs one custom neck die are still attractive.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.02441 seconds with 8 queries