Thread: Neophyte Jargon
View Single Post
Old July 24, 2014, 04:33 PM   #20
kraigwy

Quote:
The BS of armchair wannabes about how cops fired a whole bunch of rounds and didn't hit a bad guy is neophyte jargon 101. Assess a gunfight by survival of good guys. If cops fired a hundred rounds and every single one missed the bad guy and every single one of the cops survived, the cops did something right, not wrong
Guess I'm an "armchair wannabe" but if a cop fires 100 rounds at a bad guy and survives, that's not good tactics, that's pure luck. Where did those 100 rounds go? At best I'd call that reckless endangerment not good tactics. Like the cops a while back who shot 9 civilians in an attempt to take down one bad guy. You want to call that "good tactics"?

As to Jargon............I'll find that under "who cares". Its like spelling police attacking the spelling instead of offering content to the subject. What does it accomplish.

I've been around guns quite a bit in my 67 years. I have enough confidence in my knowledge I don't feel the need to correct someone who calls a magazine a clip. I know what they are talking about, what does it accomplish to go all ballistic.

As to "platform". The term does fit will into "gun talk". Mr. Smith builds a rifle. Mr. Jones ask what was the platform. Having build untold numbers of rifles in my time, I would automatically assume Mr Jones was asking what action. Or depending on the subject, platform could mean, a hunting platform, a target platform, plinking platform, etc. All I would consider platform.

A good example I confess I use to cringe when I heard the term "driving a rifle". I've said in the past, you drive trucks not rifles. That is until I saw a video put out by "Rifles Only" on shooting precision rifles. In the video Jacob was talking about "driving the rifle" in the same way one drives a vehicle. Unconscionably moving the steering wheel as he drives down the road. You do the same thing in shooting. You do in fact drive a rifle.

"Man Stopper", let me point out, its man stopper, not man "instant' killer. If it constantly stops a bandit from his intended evil doing, its a man stopper. A 44 to the hard lung area may not be a man stopper, killer yes, but it wouldn't necessary instantly stop him. How ever a 38 hitting the bandit low in the stomach would instantly stop the bad behavior.

I could go on and on but my point is, if one has enough confidence in his/her knowledge, they don't have the need to belittle one's improper terms. Embarrassing someone shows how little we are, not how dumb the person we embarrass.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03109 seconds with 8 queries