Thread: dies
View Single Post
Old September 14, 2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Clark

Most dies have 7/8-14 thread, and most presses have 7/8-14 thread.

To get a co-ax press to work right [they don't use threads] I need the right kind of locking ring [with 7/8-14 threads]

Most lock rings are 7/8-14 threads, but the co-ax press wants the rings to be the right shape. Most presses do not care about the shape of the lock ring.

Sometimes I make dies by cutting off a piece of 7/8-14 threaded rod with a hack saw, and then boring a hole in it on the lathe.

One can make home made seater dies with a chamber reamer. Or neck dies by just boring out the neck and cutting the right shoulder angle. Which you can see I have done in these shortie dies.

My brother has done a much nicer job of making dies.

And Calhoon has made die inserts from machinable carbide and then heat treated them for making his 19 Calhoon cartridges he sells. [That is my pic, not one from his web site]

From my primitive efforts to some really nice work, we see they all are make with 7/8-14 threads, the industry standard for reloading dies.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Page generated in 0.03539 seconds with 9 queries