View Single Post
Old August 23, 2011, 02:20 PM   #92
Baba Louie

Quote:
I've had this conversation before with many subjects of the British Commonwealth.
People who are here visiting or vacationing is one thing, but when I've talked to Brits who've moved here, do you know several of them actually enjoy firearms and the shooting sports? Go figure.

Hmmmm. Their take is similar to ours. They are HERE for a reason or two. Arms ownership might be one very small factor. Yet some take to it like ducks to water. Isn't that amazing?

It's simply a cultural thing (how simple or complex an answer [non-answer?] is that). Older culture, vs newer. Telling the gov't to pound sand collectively (forefathers) or acquiescing (sp?) to gov't decree willingly. Self governnment vs not my job to control all aspects of my life. There is no simple answer other than differing cultural development.

Thank goodness we're not all marching to the same drummer. Makes life more interesting to have some variety and danger thrown in every now and then.

I do wonder how much tax revenue is generated by sales of arms and related arcania in the US vs elsewhere? Which might lead back to the OP (revenue generated action) but not for the same reason BB espoused, just curious.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Page generated in 0.02999 seconds with 8 queries