View Single Post
Old April 19, 2011, 07:08 PM   #18
SIGSHR

Part of the fun of reenacting-for me at least-is getting the details right.
A fellow RevWar reenactor pointed out to me that some of the "hardcore" types who go shoeless and wrap their feet in burlap are farbs because burlap wasn't introduced until 1840 or so. WWII uniforms changed rather markedly in
4-5 years-look at a photo of troops in field uniforms from 1941 and compare it with one in 1945. They changed very markedly when I was in the Army 1967-1971. When I enlisted in 1967 the long sleeved khaki shirt worn with a tie and shoulder patches had just been declared obsolete, we wore short sleeved khaki shirts with no shoulder patches. My BCT cycle still had the black and gold US Army over the left pocket but subdued name tapes over the right, some of the cadre just back from Vietnam proudly wore their sundbued insignias including chevron on the sleeves, when I got there we wore pin on rank insignia on our collars-and not when we were in the field. By 1969 subdued insignia and patches were Army wide standard.
In the case of Civil War reenacting, getting correct New York State buttons-i.e. Civil War and not later vintage- brought gladness to the hearts of reenactors who did New York impressions.
And those of us who have served know that in the military you use what they issue and not what you'dlike to have.

Page generated in 0.03722 seconds with 8 queries