View Single Post
Old February 8, 2000, 04:18 AM   #4
Hal

You might be interested in this discussion from another board.
http://guntalk.shooters.com/guntalk/...288.html#13808
Even though the subject matter is centered on the .22 version, it does point out Marlin's attitude about customer service.
I have found my own Marlin Cowboy II in .38/.357mag to be a very enjoyable gun to shoot. Like so many others, I too prefer the "Classic" looks of the Winchester, but considering the Marlin design is over 100 years old, I guess it too can be considered to have stood the test of time to become a "Classic" in it's own right. The Marlin action compared to the Winchester action is similar to using a hot knife to spread warm butter vs using a cold knife to spread butter fresh out of the fridge. Not only smoother, but a lot less work required to do the same thing. The only caution I can give is to watch the OAL of any .357mag loads you use. I have had some problems with feeding .357mag rounds with a SWC bullet. The same bullet works fine when loaded into a .38sp case. I had considered getting one of the Marlin's in .22lr, but I figure with the cost of reloading for the .38/.357mag being so low, I can shoot a lot of .38sp for the price of the .22lr Marlin. The only drawback to the Marlin is the price tag, but you pay for what you get I guess. I can understand the asking price, considering the extra steps involved in making it vs a Winchester 94 and have no problem with paying the extra for it. It was kind of a stumbling block, but a well timed bonus,plus a few hours of unexpected overtime pay pretty much provided for a free(not really free, but paid for with unexpected funds) Marlin. Overall, I would say I'm 95% satisifed with it. My only area of dissatisfaction concerns the lack of factory preparation for a tang sight. I don't think it would have been out of line for Marlin to predrill and tap the tang. They recognize that some people will install a tang sight, and state so in the manual concerning the serial number placement. IMHO, the design screams "Tang me", something I plan on doing in the near future. With the right sights, and the right load, a pretty good case for a sitting under a tree on a fall afternoon waiting for Mr. Bushytail gun can be made.

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited February 08, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02370 seconds with 8 queries