View Single Post
Old August 9, 2012, 08:26 AM   #31
wpsdlrg

As you can see, codyb1991.....ask an open-ended question, get a million different responses. Everyone throws out his/her favorite. You need to really think it through.

1) What will be the PRIMARY purpose of the gun ? If home defense, open carry and target shooting....then a full-size auto would be better. Full-size models are easier to shoot and much easier to learn on. If concealed carry figures into this, then you'll probably need to compromise your purchase toward compact models. If CC is the main purpose, then a sub-compact model would be almost necessary. Bear in mind that the smaller you go (with frame size), the harder it is to learn to shoot well.

2) What budget ? $100 ? $12,000 ? You will need to do a LOT of research and narrow this down. A very good auto pistol, suitable for all round shooting, but NOT specialized for target shooting or competition-style shooting, can be had for $500 or less. If your budget allows, if I were you, I would start there - and work down.

3) As to caliber, I concur with most here. 9mm Luger is the best overall choice, when one considers a mixture of factors : effectiveness, recoil, cost. 9mm is by far the best of the three on cost. It is generally the best of the three as regards recoil (depending on bullet weight, loads, etc). And it is effective for self-defense. So, if I were you, I would choose 9mm over 40 S&W or 45 ACP, for a first pistol.

4) Features. An important consideration, as they vary. Single-action only ? Double-action only ? Hammer-fired ? Striker-fired ? Safety mechanisms (some are almost ubiquitous now, such as firing pin locks - but there is still a good bit of variance between brands and models) ? Polymer or all-metal ? Literally, there are hundreds of variations.

5) Feel. VERY important. I suggest that, once you get a better idea of items 1 - 4 above, you go to your local gun dealers (several of them) and handle as many different guns (that fit your criteria) as possible. It is very important that the chosen pistol feel GOOD in your hand. That the controls make sense to you - and that they are easy to access.

As regard brands, there are a dizzying array to choose from. This is a matter for research and talking to those you trust, if you can. Of course, you've started your research phase by posting here. Now, take some notes and check out different gun manufacturers websites. Look through the different models - and think over your purpose(s) for the gun and narrow down your budget numbers.

When you have more information to go on (and can narrow things down a bit), probably someone here has experience with whatever models in which you might be interested.

What I DON'T recommend is that you simply walk into a gun store, cash in hand, with NO experience with hand guns.....and just buy something that "looks acceptable".....or simply go with the advice of the counter guy. Bad plan. You MIGHT find something that way that works for you - or, you might well end up like a lot of people, with a hand gun that doesn't fit you, is of questionable reliability, cost more than you really wanted to spend.....and that you really don't care much for. That's when you'll feel "taken"....or foolish.

Page generated in 0.02311 seconds with 8 queries