View Single Post
Old May 25, 2010, 05:02 PM   #132
OldMarksman
Staff

Coupla points ....

My discussion with Peetzakilla, with whom I usually agree on most issues, is intended to be constructive and to provide others with some useful discussion of risk assessment and risk management techniques as they may apply here. I worked in an area (several of them, actually) in which one could not properly rely on historical data for answers, for compliance analysis, disaster preparedness, financial projection and reporting, or other critical decision making.

I'm not sure how much we actually disagree in practice. He carries a gun with a ten shot magazine. I either carry one with a seven shot magazine or one with a twelve shot magazine loaded with ten cartridges. I don't see the point of "17+1", etcetera.

The idea of carrying an extra magazine has come up in this and previous threads. Until fairly recently, I thought that was overkill, but after hearing what Fiddletown, who has had much more training than I have, and the instructors in my recent tactical pistol course, who have seen a lot more malfunctions than I have, have to say about this, I am reconsidering, but not because I see any likelihood at all that I would ever allow myself to get into an extended fire fight. It doesn't seem to add that much convenience. I have not yet started carrying one.

So--training (though not professional training) is influencing my thought processes here. I used to rely entirely on semi-rapid shooting at one paper target. Shooting very quickly and moving very rapidly from one target to another (to simulate a moving assailant or two of them) proved eye-opening, and showed me that Peetzakilla is not overdoing it with his ten shot magazine.

Page generated in 0.02863 seconds with 8 queries