Thread: Yugo M48
View Single Post
Old April 30, 2022, 08:40 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Corrosive ammo requires cleaning with water to dissolve the corrosive salts. It also requires removing any other fouling that's preventing the water from getting to the salts that need to be removed.

I don't think ammonia really does anything significant for you, it's the water that's the important part.

You can also just clean all the way back to bare metal using whatever means you prefer to accomplish that goal. That means removing ALL traces of carbon and copper/jacket fouling and leaving a completely shiny bore from one end to the other. That will also deal with corrosive fouling. That can be a lot more work than most people want to take on for every single shooting session.

If your bore is now pitted, there's not much you can do about it at this point. In your situation, I would do the following.

Run a patch with a good copper solvent (letting it sit for awhile) through the bore and then patch it clean.

Run a patch with a good nitro solvent down the bore and then brush several strokes with a good phosphor bronze brush that fits the bore tightly. Then wet the bore with nitro solvent and patch it clean/dry. You have to really get it clean for this step to remove any residue left from the bronze brush.

Repeat those two steps until the copper solvent isn't getting out any blue or green.

Get something like Flitz or RemClean that has an abrasive component and patch the bore back and forth with a tightly fitting patch to try to remove any oxidation.

Wet the bore with nitro solvent and patch it clean/dry and take a look.

Repeat those steps until you see no more improvement or until you are happy with the results.

I can tell you that nothing you can do at this point will remove the dark areas if they are actually pits. Also, those pits will collect fouling in the future and will make cleaning more work from now on.

Page generated in 0.03719 seconds with 8 queries