View Single Post
Old February 14, 2018, 05:45 PM   #19
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I am reminded that at least some of us that CC are very aware of "whats happening" around us.
Well, I was aware in that instance. I just did not make a prudent decision.

As mentioned, I had heard Massad Ayoob describe a similar scenario.

This occurred some years ago, and I had availed myself of no defensive training before that time. Yet I did look around for another perp in the store, and I somehow realized the need for having a clear shot and a backstop, which required moving, which I had never practiced.

I was already of a mindset that I would not intervene in a store robbery. But (1) I was already in a vulnerable position myself, (2) there was no really good way out, and (3) the store personnel were known to me. It was a no brainer.

One other thing--in those days I pocketed a five shot J-frame when going to "benign", "safe" places. Not that would I would need in the event would have any relationship whatever to the likelihood of occurrence beforehand.

Someone here or on THR questioned my reasoning on that. Embarrassing, for someone who had spent a lot of time in risk management in the corporate world.

By the way, that was an extremely unnerving experience. I could not begin to describe the would-be robber or his accomplice afterward, and I could not even recall the make of the car.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people I see walking in parking lots while texting who are completely oblivious to their surroundings. I am just as amazed that we do not see dozens of them run over by cars each week.

Page generated in 0.02343 seconds with 8 queries