Thread: New to Casting
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2013, 07:19 PM   #8
zxcvbob

Quote:
Something to pour up ingots in, I use a cast iron corncob corn bread iron, and a couple of the commercial aluminum type like the Lyman or Lee for smaller chunks or for a special type of alloy. It helps me keep things separated and usually I don't blend up a big batch of something different just to try it out.
I just picked up a $9 corncob pan from Walmart on my way home. I ordered it from walmart.com a couple of weeks ago. It's smaller than I expected. I have been using stainless steel condiment cups. They are cheap and they work well, but the ingots are not a good shape for topping up a pot of lead without risking burning my fingers. The corn cobs will be a lot easier, even if they are a little small. (they might surprise me and run a pound and a half when I pour a batch)

ETA: I just poured a few to try it out, and they run about 17 ounces. Will probably be closer to 18 when I'm really using it, not pouring just 3 cobs in a cold mold.

Last edited by zxcvbob; May 18, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.03652 seconds with 8 queries