View Single Post
Old March 13, 2009, 12:51 PM   #56
gretske

Quote:
Did the campus police overreact? Of course not. Asking him to come in and speak with them face to face seems reasonable; I'm sure they were also very alert to whether he came across as disturbed in any way -- interviewing him in person would, it seems to me, give them a better sense of his mental state than they'd get from a phone conversation.
But, this is exactly the point, dragging (I know this is an emotionally loaded word) someone in to explain themselves for a point of view is intimidation, pure and simple.

Of course, we don't have the benefit of seeing the details of the presentation that caused the big to-do, so I am assuming that, since both the professor and the student are consistent in stating that the presentation was only exploring the notion of whether concealed carry on campus would be beneficial.

But, assuming that there was nothing incendiary in the presentation, this is a blatant example of using power to intimidate. There is no other way to look at it. What if the student had said he was a Republican, or a Mormon, or a vegetarian, and the campus police questioned him on it? You don't think that is a violation of his civil rights? If you don't, then you better go back and read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Think about the impact on the student body. "Hey, I hear Johnny had his butt drug in and was grilled about his presentation about guns on campus."

"Really, well, I guess we better not mention 'guns' on campus anymore, unless you want to talk to Officer Krupke."

This is not Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Communist China, or the Islamic Republic of Iran, people are allowed to hold and express non-violent political positions without being harassed by the campus administration or its police force.

Page generated in 0.05741 seconds with 8 queries