View Single Post
Old October 7, 2009, 01:36 PM   #12
Farmland

So the only reason ever to get a progressive press is because you are geared to high volume, I don't think so. Though is was nice to see people think only the blue Dillon press can do this. Really any progressive press can crank out high volume amount of rounds. Though my Dillon 650 does a pretty good job at it. The Horandy can keep pace with it though.

However this is not the only point to ever consider a progressive press. A progressive press will do very nice when running off any amount of rounds and there are a lot of times I use it for 50 to 100 pistol rounds. I have to do less steps individually and its pretty nice doing it in a far shorter amount of time.

Really there are a lot of nice progressive presses, Dillon, Hornady, RCBS and some others. I do not think the Lee is in the same category as these but it can even get the job done.

There is a very nice lineup of single stage presses such as the Lee Classic Cast, Horandy, RCBS, Lyman and others. I really love the single press when it comes to rifle ammunition when I really want to concentrate on each individual round. However I have been known to load some hand gun rounds when I feel like doing something a little different.

Of course there are the turrets that are offered by the same companies and the single stage press and it has it's won set of advantages.

So if you are looking to reload with a good set up and want to go the route of a single stage set up then you can get by for $150 - $400 by buying a good single stage kit. The turret will cost you a little but more.

A progressive press would put you in between the $450 and $1,000 range depending on what you are looking to do.

I have what I would call a good set up for reloading, though I don't have everything I want yet. That figure for me is just under $2,500 and includes a single stage press, two progressive presses, and a lot or related equipment such as scales, powder measures, case trimmers and the like.

If I just wanted to reload I could get by with what I think is the best Single Stage Press (Lee Classic Cast) a good powder measure, scale and some odds and ends for case prep ( hand trimmer, tumbler etc) for around $400.

Page generated in 0.03432 seconds with 8 queries