View Single Post
Old June 10, 2013, 09:26 PM   #1
"JJ"

A couple of my latest coyotes!

I put down a couple more Northeast Texas coyotes lately and thought I would share the hunts with you guys!

FIRST HUNT!

My brother in law and I decided to go out after it had rained all day Saturday to do some night calling!
I called a couple of the more aware landowners that might get visited to give them a heads up and we set out!
We get to the first spot about the same time as another small storm cloud does and get delayed a bit. However it waits until we get all of our gear unpacked and positioned to dump on us!
So we wait out the rain in the truck and start having second thoughts when a few lightning strikes get a bit to close for comfort!

But after about 15 minutes in the cab we bravely or stupidly jump in the back of the truck to give it a go!
This stands produces nothing but a scavenging skunk!

As we are packing up to make the trip to the next spot I get a phone call from one of the landowners that I had called earlier. He said a coyote was in his front yard and I should come shoot it. Well at best he is 15 minutes away and he said the coyote turned and ran for a thicket when it saw his lights. He has the reputation of shooting when he gets the urge so I am sure this one had probably met him before!! And on top of everything else, he is right on the edge of the city limits! The street he lives on is the line and he is on the city side.
Well I tell him we will run by and I alter our plans to hit one of his fields by his house so we can at the least be seen shinning a light in his yard!
As we approach his place on the city line road we see something dart across the road into his mothers yard, out of the city limits!
I whisper "COYOTE"(like it would hear me) and whip into her drive and try to keep the lights on it. My BIL says "I think it was a deer!". Quickly my guess is confirmed as the coyote pops out of the high grass in the ditch and trots down the treeline.
He starts grabbing my rifle and I almost stop him to say she is gonna jet as soon as I open my door, but for some reason I don't. She leaves the treeline and trots toward the driveway with her nose to the ground. My BIL tries to get the spot light out the window and I guess he makes a noise cause now she bolts!
A quick bark and she slows up to down one last look around! As she starts to slow I attempt to get the cross hairs on her for a quick shot and I can't see a thing! I verify the light is on her with a quick glance up and try to look through the scope again! This is when I realize the scope caps are still closed!
She has now been waiting patiently for a bit too long to be shot and appeared to be turning again as I finally dropped her in her tracks!

I didn't bother weighing her as she was very poor looking as you can see with her "chicken wing" back leg sticking up and she was not very old at all.
Which may explain why I was even able to get a shot at her!

The rest of the night didn't produce anything as we dodge sporadic showers and the occasional lightning!
But over all, it was a good day!

You don't get many targets of opportunities on the couch!

-----------------

SECOND HUNT!

I got a call from a land owner this past Saturday morning who jumped 3 coyotes eating on a cow that must have died last night!
I headed his way and snuck in to the area where the cow was.
There was nothing but vultures and it when I got there so I set up wind a bit under a shade tree.

I started with some high pitched interrogation or locator howls on my MFK diaphragms in hopes to simulate another coyote on their kill!
I then answered myself with a young answer howl on my Primos Turbo Dogg. I did this a few times with a short pause between the two and then stopped and watched the field for a while!
After nothing showed I switched to some challenge howls and again answering myself with Turbo Dogg.
It is getting warm now and I want to make a trip back here in the evening so I decide to head out.

As I stand I make another sweep of the field from the new and improved view and spot something way out there.
It seems a bit small, maybe coon size.
I throw the scope up to get a better look and to my surprise it is a coyote! It is just in some real tall grass and partially concealed. It is following a fence row and cautiously heading my way!
Right about this time the cows see it and charge! They chase it about clear across the pasture from my left to right before they pull up.
As soon as they do they coyote turns back my way. Now at about 200 yards it takes it's time again!
I drop the hammer at about 140 yards.
It was a young male. Maybe last years model!

Thanks for looking!

Page generated in 0.03338 seconds with 8 queries