View Single Post
Old May 25, 2012, 11:09 PM   #5
raftman

Quote:
I'm somehow biased against Soviet / Russian stuff, but some thought:
AFAIK the 7,62x54R is still an issued ammo for russian machine guns and rifles. They do keep this round for longer than 100 years, they did used it in Tzar era and use it until now. So I'd guess that there will be some milsurp 7.62x54R ammo available in the future, too. Also it is not true that you can't reload it, indeed you can but you can't reuse the milsurp cases. But you can buy some other ammo and you will have reloadable brass.
The 7.62x39 ammo, i.e. the AK47 round is not being used any more and it was replaced by 5.45x39 (AK74). But it looks like there is a lot of 7.62x39 ammo available in storages and they do sell it on the civilian market. So it is the 7.62x39 ammo (AK47) which was discontinued, not the more powerfull 7.62x54R round (SVD).
Maybe you wouldn't have a bias against Soviet/Russian stuff if you knew more about it. 7.62x39 is still in use, is still in production, and not by any stretch of the imagination discontinued, it remains cheaply and widely available and will remain so indefinitely, short of something like an import ban being imposed.

Quote:
The .308 Win milsurp ammo shoots ways better than any milsurp 7.62x54R round.
That statement is literally impossible to prove and almost certainly untrue. 7.62x54R delivers equivalent ballistics and at less than half the price.

Page generated in 0.02198 seconds with 8 queries