View Single Post
Old May 9, 2006, 10:35 AM   #13
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs
Is pure folly. It would probably get you shot! You might be able to do it if you know the person and know the gun was unloaded. I'm sorry, but I doubt that you would be able to think this way this quickly. Truly fighting with a knife is a martial art, and requires quite a bit of training.
Knives are wonderful tools, but guns are much better for self defense.
Bill,

I understand where you are coming from and I respect your opinion. The problem I see is trying to outdraw someone who already has a gun on you and is so close that expecting him to miss is practically impossible. If I thought I was just going to be robbed, hell, I'll just give him my wallet and be done with it. Why even resist and put myself at risk over a couple of bucks? If I feel he is going to shoot me anyways, I sure as hell will go down fighting.

I am trained in martial arts and am in decent physical shape. While I am not an expert on disarming an armed attacker, we did go over some disarming techniques. First and foremost, you have to get out of the line of fire. By faking submission, you should look for an opportunity to move your body out of the line of fire and control the gun arm. While this is risky, you would be surprised that is can be done relatively easy for someone not expecting resistance. Like I said, bullets are only dangerous in a single vector and I sure as hell would not want to be in line with that vector. Once you control the gun hand however, there is no advantage. Consider taking some Aikido or Jujitsu classes and you may be surprised how easily you are disarmed (please make sure you are using dummy guns or triple check to make sure the gun is empty). There is actually a move to break the attackers wrist and turn the gun on him. A knife would also be highly advantageous in close quarters provided that you could access it quickly and one handed. Like I said earlier, if it is not contact distance, it is better to use a gun or not resist unless you are sure you have a chance to clear leather without getting shot. If you try to disarm a knife weilding attacker, prepare to get cut up. The best thing is to create some distance and shoot the SOB.

Page generated in 0.02637 seconds with 8 queries