Thread: vaminters
View Single Post
Old December 13, 2005, 04:38 PM   #9
zeisloft

I like the digital callers, but it is hard to beat a mouth caller. Easy set up, and minimal weight. No I have not hunted in Indiana, but I have hunted central and south TX where it is thicker than the west. One thing that will help is to listen to Arts advice on light dicipline. When using a spotlight, use the halo, not the direct beam, that is , shine the light up at about a 30degree angle. If hunting durring the day, use crow decoys. Black handkerchief propped up with a stick will work. Call with your caller or a mouth call loud for 30 sec, wait 30 sec, call lighter, wait 30 sec and go to the crow call. Coyotes will come in to rob the crows, works well with hawk calls too.

Another thing to try...get a cheap squeak toy (pet store) pull the squeaker out and use it as a coaxer. When the dogs are insite but obstructed or out of range, a few light squeaks will bring em in.

Hunt egdes, you mention corn fields, set up in the middle of them after harvest, construct a small cover blind to hide your movement and pay attention to the wind. Most or all, dont call too loud for too long, dont be afraid to move around, but dont move too soon 30 mins is my self imposed minimum. Good luck, ask more questions if you have them, someone may have an answer.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader

Page generated in 0.03020 seconds with 8 queries