View Single Post
Old November 3, 2013, 10:34 PM   #49
wncchester

Given the low yield strength of case brass I'm highly doubtful any measurable speed differences exist between FL and necked cases and it's highly unlikely anyone can 'prove' a 10-20 fps average difference between them.

I used to repair, calibrate and certify very costly high precision electronic frequency generators and counters in the space program so I know a bit about what makes my chronograph function.

At it's original selling price of some $300 I KNOW my chronograph is not stable enough to depend on to count within 10-20 fps around 3,000 fps on a daily basis; in fact, the thermal drift effects of a 10 degree ambient temp change is probably going to change both the clock frequency and counter stability that much or more! Slightly changing the bullet's passage angle OR it's height thru the sky screens will too; those detector things aren't made with high value optics so they aren't all that precisely focused at best and I suspect that very few users clean the dust off the lenses anyway.

Page generated in 0.02652 seconds with 8 queries