View Single Post
Old May 11, 2013, 11:38 AM   #8
RC20

In this case you do have a serious issue with compliance as the gun has been pushed into the illegal modification of a gun category unless the right parts count with US origin has been used. Not likely to be caught of course.

A proper MAK of that era is as is, warts and all and my take is that it should be preserved.

What he did was changed it to look like a tactical AK47 (certainly fine and no issues with that, its his gun but I also believe you should be informed before you do that for the legal aspects as well as historic value).

The MAKs have an inherent value as they were unusually and a high quality underpinnings (maybe e solid would be better as the term quality is somewhat iffy with AKs, function and reliable yes.)

While I do plan to get a good stock on mine, its for function not appearance. No plans to add a bunch of stuff to it, but thats me and my take.

I will keep the thumb-hole as someday it will be sold and thats part of its intrinsic value as well as history (good or bad).

The wrong changes and you can't go back and then its a modified MAK and for whatever that sells for.

I do think for something historic, be it an old car of gun you should always think seriously about what you do to them. Some are never going to be worth much, others like the MAK appear to have a value in and of themselves. Once something is changed and you can't go back its lost and that can be a shame. I think the MAK is in that transition period.

Cutting the ears off a Model of 1917 receiver is not in that place, though it was a very reasonable thing to do when there were millions of them around. I don't think anyone should do it now, but again thats me and my take

Page generated in 0.03575 seconds with 8 queries