View Single Post
Old September 25, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Christian James

Alternative training methods?

“Owning a handgun does not make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
- Col. Jeff Cooper

I understand the importance of training and I agree that if you want to learn how to use your weapons well you should go to a class and receive quality instruction. Here’s my problem though. I recently got married and my wife is expecting our first child. As you would expect, free time is at a premium and the possibility of me getting away to take a class is not very good.

This problem applies more to carbine training than handgun training. I can take a course on defensive pistolcraft with Louis Awerbuck at a place that is an hour away. I plan on doing just that, and learning to use a pistol is my number one priority as I am a civilian and my primary weapon is my 1911.

I also want to learn to use my AR though. What can a person in my situation do? There are no good carbine classes nearby. I don’t mind traveling to a class, but as I mentioned earlier my personal circumstances preclude that option for the foreseeable future. At this point I have three choices –
1. Pick up some good books and training videos.
2. Participate in the matches at my gun club, that should at least teach me how to shoot.
3. Get some personal instruction if at all possible. This is probably the best option as I have three cousins that are combat Marines and have all done recent tours in Iraq. The only problem I can foresee is that I’m not sure how good they are as teachers.

What other options do I have? I really want to learn to use my guns, but I refuse to believe that until I take a course that I am only a dilettante.

Page generated in 0.03785 seconds with 8 queries