View Single Post
Old March 19, 2006, 11:54 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From reading numerous articles and TFL/THR comments, the 710 is for those who sight in, go kill a deer, and then don't shoot again until the next season. It's just not built for day-to-day use.

Fit of any rifle or shotgun is important. You should be able to mount the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed, and when you open your eyes you're looking right down the centerline above the barrel or right through the sights/scope. That means the stock is right for your body.

Recoil when hunting is felt a lot less than when shooting from a bench rest. Your body gives with the recoil and it isn't really any big deal. Use extra padding at the bench; nobody needs the theme song, "The Masochism Tango". There's no prize for bruising yourself.

I was 16, 5-10 and about 130 pounds at most when I first got started with an '06. The steel butt plate of that old 1917 danged near beat me to death, in summertime with a tee-shirt. I cured that with a Bishop stock and a decent butt pad, and I've never worried since.

Art

Page generated in 0.02158 seconds with 8 queries