View Single Post
Old March 11, 2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
Springs are notoriously weak from the factory and may need replacing with Wolff springs for better reliability.
I keep seeing this claim on the net, but nobody ever provides evidence to substantiate the claim.
  • At one time, the trigger springs on some CZ P-01s failed; it was apparently a single bad lot of trigger springs provided by a supplier -- CZ quickly made it good on those that failed. I saw no evidence, on the CZ Forum -- where I was moderator at the time -- of a great number of failures, nor mention elsewhere on the net. It was a small flurry and it seems that only P-01s were affected.
  • The extractor springs on older models were weaker than the current ones, but I think that "problem" -- poor extraction when the gun got dirty -- had more to do with the design of the extractor and how it fit in the slide than the spring itself. Keeping the extractor area (in the slide) clean of gunk buildup seemed to stop extraction issues. The new stronger extractor spring also solves the problem. That was a spring that was arguably weak, but not so bad as to cause big problems -- and regular cleaning (or cleaner ammo) made it a minor- or non-issue.
  • CZ once rated their 9mm full-size recoil springs at 14 lbs, but they typically measured 12 lbs. No failures or lack of reliability associated with that "problem." I suspect more problems are caused by HEAVIER recoil springs than light ones.
  • Mec-Gar springs on their aftermarket CZ mags seem stronger (i.e., the mags are harder to load) than factory mag springs, but most of the factory mags are now made by Mec-Gar, so it's hard to know which mags -- if any -- are a problem. I haven't heard of a lot of reliability issues there. I've also owned a BUNCH of CZs over the years, and probably close to a hundred CZ factory mags, and haven't seen any more problems from those mags than from the mags from my other (non-CZ) guns.
  • One of the first things most CZ enthusiasts do with a new CZ is go to a lighter hammer spring, down a pound or two from the stock weight. It lightens and seemingly smooths the DA trigger, with no loss of reliability. The main spring/hammer spring is arguably too heavy, NOT too weak.
Does anyone here have more information about the nature of this "notorious" CZ weakness that isn't based on what they've read on the internet? If so, please share it with us. Personal experience would be appreciated, but evidence of more than just YOUR problems would be nice, too.

Page generated in 0.03134 seconds with 8 queries