Thread: RMR sighting
View Single Post
Old February 18, 2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Shawn Thompson

Quote:
I assumed the RMR's came "sighted'. No adjustment.
The red dot sight still has to be mounted on a slide and to some degree or another, whether using an adapter plate or machining the slide, it would seem somewhat unrealistic to assume that the fit would be perfectly aligned on every installation. However, adjustments are very simple and easy to make with the Trijicon RMR.

That being said an increasing interest by students in our classes has inspired me to test this set-up to gain some first hand experience on the subject. I have only had mine running for a couple of weeks, but I will share this with you:

I chose to go with David Bowie at Bowie Tactical Concepts and have the slide machined on a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. I wanted to utilize a BUIS system and found that the adapater plate added too much height for what I wanted to do. Machining the slide for the RMR lowered the red dot sight to a point where the BUIS would work, but only with suppressor sights. Factory sights were too low to be visible. This is something you might check on with the "stock" glock sights. And FWIW, BUIS in front of the red dot sight - highly recommended.

I had actually purchased an Insight MRDS first, only to find out that the M&P could not be machined deep enough for the effective use of a BUIS. The RMR solved that problem for me. I have colleagues who run the Insight MRDS on other pistols and love them. Equally, I have heard some positive things about the Leupold DeltaPoint, although I myself have not had the oportunity to finger-poke at one of those as of yet.

Adjusting to the red dot takes a little work - nothing some time at home doing dry fire work won't help with. Yes the dot will set a little higher from the bore axis than does a factory iron sight. You'll adjust. Trijicon boasts the RMR is paralax free out to 50 meters and recomends sighting in at that distance. You may find that distance to be a bit sportly for a handgun, but sighting in at a maximum effective range does seem to bode well for use of a red dot. I'm sure I will make adjustments as my experience with the set-up increases.

Last edited by Shawn Thompson; February 18, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.03429 seconds with 8 queries