View Single Post
Old November 20, 2012, 08:59 AM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc444 View Post
the hunting round I select must put the animal down and and maximize the amount of meat on the grill.

bullets with lots of hydro static shock tend to fail the last test.

Remember PETA stands for People eating tasty animals.
I don't know why you'd think that. Explosive bullets aren't high on hydrostatic shock. That's not hydrostatic shock, that's bullets doing lots of damage.

Hydrostatic shock is the shock wave created by the bullet rapidly pushing fluid, as Art described. Bullets that are best at that are bullets that stay in one piece. Monolithic, expanding bullets... Like the Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX... and they are also the bullets that minimize meat damage by not blowing into pieces throughout the animal.

Hydrostatic shock isn't the phenomenon of dropping an animal where is stands, though it might contribute to dropping the animal. Hydrostatic shock is damage to places you didn't actually hit with the bullet.

The first deer I ever hit with a Barnes bullet is a good example. I was shooting a 110gr TTSX out of my 15" Encore Pro Hunter. I was in a tree and the shot was close. The bullet entered high on the deers right side, just behind the shoulder and exited about 1/3 the body width up from the bottom of the left side. I hit the upper, back portion of the lungs, I estimate that I missed the heart by at least 6 inches but the top of the heart was blown open.

THAT is hydrostatic shock. Ruined not an ounce of meat.

Page generated in 0.03273 seconds with 8 queries