View Single Post
Old July 20, 2010, 02:58 PM   #1
B. Lahey

LCP vs. Seecamp... For Me the LCP Wins

I wanted to be a Seecamp nerd with all of my heart, but my actual experience with the two pistols has destroyed my lovely notions of Seecamp supremacy. The below is my personal tale of two pocket popguns, your story may be different.

Seecamp LWS32
Was unreliable out of the box. Some messing about with lubes and cleaning discovered that when spotlessly clean and lightly lubed with Ezox, I could get the failure rate down to about 2-5%. The failures were nearly always failures to feed of the "3 Point" type, where the tip of the projectile contacted the top of the chamber, the brass came to rest on the little feedrampy area, and the base of the round came to a halt low on the breechface. Then something in the trigger mechanism broke, causing a "failure to do anything other than act as a paperweight" malfunction.

So I sent it back...

Months later, Larry Seecamp, the man himself, worked on my pistol, supposedly. He seems to have fixed the "3 Point" malf problem, but left the pistol with entirely new problems. Now the pistol fails to feed by feeding the round too high, and lodging the round against the top of the end of the barrel in the ejection port area. Also, when out shooting it the other day, the friggin' slide popped loose. It came up off the little slide retaining nub causing a bizarre humpback-pistol malfunction.

Yes, I have always been using the advised ammunition. Silvertips, Q4255 FPFMJ, and Gold-Dots; all problems happen with all ammo, except the humpback malf as it only happened once, with Silvertips. But my pistol slightly prefers the Q4255 in general.

LCP
No problems. Feeds everything, every time. The slide stays firmly attached to the frame at all times. It is a light load to carry and I shoot it well. I'm not bad with the Seecamp, but the LCP works better for me, and is much less painful to fire. And it's a .380. I have nothing against the .32acp, but if the .380 works and is easier to shoot, I'll take the .380.

It should be obvious which pistol rides in my pocket these days...

Anyone want to buy a Seecamp?

Page generated in 0.03659 seconds with 8 queries