View Single Post
Old June 10, 2006, 05:06 PM   #3
FLJim

Quote:
Don H wrote:
The dry rod (Golden Rod, or whatever brand name) doesn't remove moisture from the air, it raises the temperature of things in the safe so that moisture doesn't condense on them.
Which, if it's real hot and humid outside, may not work well. I was just researching Zanotti safes and ran-across a safe thread where somebody mentioned a friend of his had just that problem.

Quote:
Don H wrote:
If you want to lower the humidity then you need to use a dessicant that will absorb moisture. This involves a certain amount of maintenance in that you periodically have to dry out the dessicant in an oven.
Considering that most gun safes aren't air-tight, you might be doing that quite often.

All of this is why I decided the garage is out of the question. Where I live (S.E. Michigan), the summers can be quite humid and the winters darn cold. I figure that between the summer humidity and the winter cold (bring an ice-cold metal object inside and what happens?), storing my firearms in a safe in the garage was bound to result in rust and corrosion.

Page generated in 0.03140 seconds with 8 queries