View Single Post
Old March 1, 2013, 08:11 PM   #16
Sport45

Quote:
however, it would stand to reason that even the US government would use a civilian company's product to load their cartridges, a product that is just as viable to market to civilians and therefore it would not be unrealistic to assume that this stuff would have a civilian moniker.
That's where your thinking is flawed. Even "civilian" ammunition manufacturer's don't use powder that's available to us. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part they do not use the canister grade powders we have that have to be blended to a specific bulk density and burning rate to match reloading manuals. They start with a large quantity of powder and determine their own load to run a large lot of ammunition.

Your powder is probably fine. I've used quite a bit of surplus power that came in similarly marked jugs. The advantage I had was knowing what "civilian" powder it closely matched. In your shoes, I would start with load data for the slowest powder it might be and work up to a good ignition and accuracy point. But, with only a pound of the stuff you may well run out of powder before you find a good loading for it. Then you'd have just wasted about 150 bullets and primers developing a load for a powder you can't replace. That's why your best option may be spreading it in the yard.

Last edited by Sport45; March 1, 2013 at 08:19 PM.

Page generated in 0.02363 seconds with 8 queries