View Single Post
Old October 7, 2011, 09:00 AM   #17
MLeake

Perceived recoil in a J-frame...

... can be lessened quite a bit by getting a set of grips that fit your hand well.

Some aftermarket grips cover the backstrap, but most don't. Advantages to covering the backstrap are a bigger grip (good for long fingered types, like me), and possibility of some cushioning material. Disadvantages to covering the backstrap are a bigger grip (may cause excessive double action trigger reach for shorter fingered types) and a bit tougher pocket carry due to bigger grip.

As far as reach goes, you want to be able to get the first joint of your index finger on the trigger, while keeping the backstrap of the gun in the web of your hand, between thumb and index finger, so that the barrel is aligned with the long bones of your forearm. Too long a reach will force you to rotate your grip around the gun, possibly aligning it into the drumstick of the thumb, which will greatly reduce recoil control and increase perceived recoil and pain.

Some aftermarket grips are boot type, so they stop, vertically, at the base of the metal of the grip-frame. Most of us have our little fingers dangling under the boot grip. Boot grips are easier to conceal, but the little finger has a lot to do with controlling muzzle rise. Slightly longer grips, that allow the little finger a good resting place, are better for controlling muzzle rise, but harder to conceal.

Rubber grips, such as Pachmayr and Hogue, offer more cushioning, but also have more of a tendency to grab cover garment fabric and reveal the gun. (Pachmayr is typically less grabby than Hogue, but YMMV.)

Wood grips don't grab fabric so much, but can beat up your hand a bit more.

Personally, I like wood, and have checkered, oversized (covered backstrap), finger-grooved Altamonts on my 442. I typically shoot 50-100 rounds at a session, with no pain or blisters. Again, YMMV.

Edit: Note that I also lift weights, do a lot of pull-ups, and use grip strengtheners from Captains of Crush.... However, my friend's wife shot the 442 last month, and had no trouble with it, and she's a little thing. OTOH, my wife is a farmgirl and former pro horse breeder/trainer, and is used to tossing hay bales around, but she does NOT like the 442, so again, YMMV.

Page generated in 0.03460 seconds with 8 queries