View Single Post
Old September 7, 2008, 02:37 AM   #9
moose fat

Ooh, nice snipers!

I had to learn to reload to shoot mine also. My first Enfield, sort of, is a Model of 1917. It took awhile to figure out what to shoot in it bullet wt. wise. Then I got an Ishapore 2a and got into relaoding so I could shoot it; I researched the .308 vs. 7.62NATO and decided relaoding would be the thing to do.

Then, since I have a C&R lisence, I started looking on the auction sites, just to see. I next bought a 1943 BSA Shirley No.4 MkI and then a 1943 BSA No.4 MkI Maltby w/a pristine two groove barrel. Then I found a Fazakerly No.4 MkII w/a UF55 prefix, then a Longbranch No.4 Mk1/3 that looks like it was FTR'ed in India, Ishy screw, all matching and new looking, nice bore. And then my last one a PF50 Fazakerly No.4 MkII. The seller said it had a pitted bore(sigh), but it looked new and all matching. When it came in the mail I cleaned it. The bore had some pits and not much rifling near the muzzle. I scrubbed out the bore, oiled it and set it aside. A few months later I cleaned the bore again and set it aside. The next time I looked down the bore most of the pits were gone and the rifling looked pretty good, lucked out.

I have only been shooting and working up loads for the UF55 Faz and PF50 Faz I've shot some surplus ammo through. I have yet to take a moose with one of my .303's but more sooner than later I will.

Some day I am thinking of putting on a no-gunsmith scope mount on the Maltby and getting a replacement "sniper stock" for it. The two groove barrels were supposed to be fairly accurate.

Last edited by moose fat; September 7, 2008 at 03:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.02856 seconds with 8 queries