View Single Post
Old March 3, 2013, 05:35 PM   #1
parsley.farm

Remington New Model misinformation

There seems to be so much misinformation out there about the Remington New Model (commonly referred to as the model 1858), even from websites that you'd think would be credible...even from some gun manufacturers/distributors/resellers/retailers. What is correct?

Here is what I believe to be true, tell me if it is;

The gun was called the "New Model". Not an "1858". It was available in .36 and .44, so it wasn't just referred to as a "New Model Army" (as .36 would be a "New Model Navy". It was not first made in 1858 (but in 1861?)

Pietta and Uberti (and Davide Pedersoli and ?) make a replica of it, but call it an "1858". Pietta makes an oversized model? Uberti is closer to the actual size? Both companies make a .36 and .44 version of this "New Model Army" which doesn't make sense? Are their replicas (their .36 and .44) the exact same size other than the chamber/bore size? Was the original Remington New Model Army the same size as the original New Model Navy?

Why don't Uberti or Pietta (or Davide Pedersoli) make an exact copy of a New Model Navy?

Was there a "Beals" model that was somehow different?

I found a "Remington 1861 Navy Conversion" on Gunbroker.com that has no recoil shield...the frame is flat (like a Dance Brothers) behind the cylinder/conversion gate ring...Is this how the Navy looked thoughout it's manufacturing run?

All of these were steel framed? Were they blued, browned, or color case hardened...which parts? Any difference between the Army cal. and Navy cal.?

Does anyone have pictures of a Pietta replica next to an original so I can see the size difference? How about a Uberti next to an original or a Uberti next to a Pietta? How about an original Remington New Model Navy next to an original Remington New Model Army?

It also sounds as if there were variations over the years of the original? How many carbine versions were made? Was there an "improved" version of the New Model?

What is true and what is not?

PFMP

"You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies." -Steve Martin

Page generated in 0.03340 seconds with 8 queries