View Single Post
Old September 24, 2006, 04:20 PM   #7
FS2K

An opinion from a long time AR15 shooter..

The FN FS2000 is worth whatever the retail listing is.

I purchased mine for just under $2k. No, I am not a millionaire. Unlike a Galil, this gun is worth the asking price.

So what makes it so special? Alot of stuff.

Balance. The FS2000 is one of the most balanced, comfortable weapons to carry that I have owned. It is very centered in weight and has its balance point right above the trigger with a full magazine. The gun has a very natural feel to it when shouldered, and there's even a notch cut out of the foregrip for the index finger of my weak hand to rest in like I normally grip a carbine.

Size. I have always loved carbines. If a gun had a shorter version be it a "Paratrooper" or "Tank" or "Saddle" version to it? I would probably pick it above the full length version simply based on looks. Well, with the FS2000 I don't sacrifice barrel length for compact size. The 17"+ barrel has a 1:7 twist making this carbine VERY accurate as well.

Accuracy. As mentioned above, the 17.4" barrel with 1:7" RH twist rate makes this little carbine as accurate if not MORE accurate than any of my AR15 Carbines, bull barrels included. Coupled with the ergonomic stock the FS2000 is a super stable platform from which to shoot freehand (even better with a sling). I noticed a substancial rise in accuracy after the barrel was broken in.

Clean gun, easy to maintain. Unlike the AR15 gas system that craps where it eats, the FS2000 's clean runnin was a pleasent surprise for me. You can even adjust the amount of gas pressure needed (for instance if shooting weak underpowered rounds) by a simple flip of a knob. In anycase the gun shoots clean. No matter, as one push pin is all that's needed to seperate the weapon from it's stock and everything mechanical on the gun is within easy reach. Cleaning is super simple, much like the overall weapons design.

Shooter comfort. The gun never gets too hot to handle, no matter how many rounds are shot. The funiature remains cool and is able to handle the heat of the weapon being shot ALOT without warping or any discoloration at all.
The eronomics on the FS2000 was also a pleasent surprise. The charging handle is on the left so you can rack it while still having your trigger hand in place, the safety switch is right below your trigger finger making it easy to switch too. Magazine release is large, easy to manipulate and right in front of the magazine well. Pretty cool...

Minimal Recoil out of such a short gun. The recoil pulse is minor, not that recoil is a problem for 5.56/.223 ammo. LOL! But a nice thing is, you don't get blasted in the face by hot gasses and crap like you do when shooting an AR15. Takes a little getting used to when you had to deal with that sort of thing for so long...

Uses AR15/M16 Magazines. Something I already had a bunch of. I really like the conveinience of not having to get a whole new set of magazines for this gun. She uses the same mags, same ammo. I love that!

Weather resistance. This thing is weatherproof. Whatever finish they use on the metal parts is good. Real GOOD. No rust whatso ever, and the plastic stock? Like I said, heat proof to the max, and wet proof naturally.

Heck...I even like the Green stock, which I thought I'd hate.

I am not saying these things because I own the gun. It is an impressive weapon, at least to me. It is the most expensive weapon I have purchased so far, but I wouldn't say it was worth it if it wasn't. I wanted something different than just another AR and Steyr AUG's were still out of my financial reach (not saying they are actually worth that much.) She was still cheaper than a USED HK, and had those little things about her (like using AR mags) that eventually won me over. I am glad I bought this gun. It's been months since I first got this gun, and I am still excited to take it out and go shooting with it. If fun was a measure of worth, this thing would cost a million bucks.

So is it perfect? NO. The stock sights are better left for backup use only as they are set extremely low. This means you need to buy some sort of sighting system in order to shoot the gun in total comfort. I fitted an Eotech 511 I had originally bought for my BW89, and it works like a charm. Matches the lines of the gun nice too. The trigger pull is heavy, especially if you are used to shooting tuned AR15's. But then again, what isn't? The best way to describe the FS2000's trigger is that it feels like your average HK trigger.

Other than that, she's fine...and worth the money.

Page generated in 0.03338 seconds with 8 queries