View Single Post
Old January 30, 2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Dc777

Savage 110 .223 value and opinions?

I have a remington 700 .243 with synthetic stock, Leupold 1 piece base with rings, and a Simmons 3-9x40 scope. It's in great shape and I've only put two rounds through it, but it isn't really my thing. I have it for trade locally and a guy has offered me a savage 110 .223 with wood stock and " barska" scope. I know nothing about savage guns as I've never fired one, and I don't know anything about barska scopes but a quick search on ebay showed me that I can buy them very cheap. Here's the deal. I'm an avid dear hunter and I shoot a .300 mag, but I like to have a backup rifle incase my scope gets bumped or something. I was actually walking to the shooting house once and my sling broke causing my rifle to hit the ground and ruin my scope, and ofcourse with my luck when I got to the food plot there was a deer standing in it..... 5 shots at him and he looked at me like I was crazy. Ever since then I have felt that I need a backup rifle incase I need it. I like the idea of having a .223 bolt gun do to cheap $6 a box ammo for having fun, but can it be used to take a deer without tracking for a mile? I have ar's but I've never shot an animal with that round. I'm a good shot, but I've shot deer with my .300 mag with great shot placement and they have still ran off. Is the .223 acceptable as a " backup" deer gun? The deer in south Alabama are small compared to the rest of the country. I also use my backup rifle to loan to friends when they come to the camp with me and don't have their own gun. Opinions on the round itself, and what is the value of it?

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.

Page generated in 0.03246 seconds with 8 queries