View Single Post
Old February 24, 2011, 12:25 PM   #19
Picher

I'll throw another opinion out for you. I think the 10-22 is a great rifle, but a pain in the butt to clean. The action must be taken out of the stock and stripped for cleaning every, say 400 rounds and it's not especially easy to put the bolt back in.

If you don't have much gun experience, I recommend a bolt-action rifle with a tubular magazine and a low-powered scope. Marlin makes several very good ones. Bolt actions, levers, and pumps stay cleaner than semi-autos and will keep you making accurate shots instead of spraying. They will be at least as accurate as a factory 10-22 and you'll be much happier for a long time with them.

One of the nicest .22 rifles I've ever used was a Remington 512, but they're not made anymore. A good used one will cost about $200, and is well worth it. They just shoot so nicely and balance so well, you'd love one. One of my favorite older .22s is a Winchester 69A, a detachable magazine model, but from the same, high-quality era.

Okay, this is from a guy who has literally "written the book" on Ruger 10-22 accurizing, so I have nothing but respect for them, but think there are better rifles for folks who don't have much experience taking care of guns.

Page generated in 0.03355 seconds with 8 queries