View Single Post
Old May 10, 2010, 06:04 AM   #16
blume357

I don't know what the handgun transfer rules are for those two states

I'm more talking about Federal law.
When you buy a handgun from a dealer / FFL you have to fill out a form that has a goodly number of questions on it. One of the questions is are you buying the gun for yourself and not to sell to someone else.

It's silly, but the feds have decided it is illegal for you to buy the gun and then 'turn around' and sell it to someone else. That's what they call a straw purchase and their reasoning is that folks, usually poor young women, are buying guns for their male criminals who can't. The simple solution would be to make it illegal to either buy, sell, or even give a gun to someone who is 'prohibited'. Oh, wait a minute, they already had that law... so they made another that doesn't solve anything but restricts honest citizens....

Anyway, the feds had to make an exception... like if I want to give my father a new Glock model 19... if we live in (are residence of) the same state and both of us can legally own the gun then I can go to an FFL and buy the Glock and then just give it to my father.

Now if he lived in a different state and the Glock was 'legal' in that state what I also could do is buy the gun from my local dealer and then have them ship it to a FFL in his state and he could come pick it up. He would have to fill out a 4433 (I can't remember the number) form, same form as when you purchase a gun and pay the FFL a transfer fee, usually 25-50 bucks, and the gun would be his. Of course in his 'other' state all the waiting periods and background checks would still have to be done.

I forget some of this because in S.C. I can go down to the FFL and pay for a handgun and come home with it... after filling out the appropriate silly transfer form... no back ground check just show them my appropriate registered with the state card. Is the best and worse thing about having a concealed permit in my state.

Page generated in 0.03875 seconds with 8 queries