Thread: Good Book?
View Single Post
Old October 25, 2000, 12:13 PM   #5
dragontooth73

Ok ... the bladesmith's name is Saji Takeshi (surname first, Japanese style)... also known as "Hakane no Shijin" (The Poet of Metal" ... He's won government recognition for his work ... he's from Fukui Prefecture. That prefecture's always been known for its blades for the past 700 years ... as much as Iwate and the other northern prefectures. In that tradition, he still makes them hand-forged.

Four blades were available last I checked through ordering:

Fisherman's knifes:

"Ryoshi Makiri"
Blade = 15cm
Handle = 12cm
Cost = 19,000 yen ($190)

"Ugui Kotoh"
Blade = 9cm
Handle = 20cm
Cost = 16,000 yen ($160)

Hunting Knives:

"Futokoro Nuiba"
Blade = 28.0cm
Handle = 15.5cm
Cost = 38,000 yen ($380)

"Nuiba Hachizun"
Blade = 38.0cm
Handle = 24.0cm
Cost = 38,000 yen ($380)

"Tanba Zantoh"
Blade = 33cm
Handle = 21cm
Cost = 35,000 yen ($350)

... The first two hunting knives are a set.

Ordering Info:
"Mag Planning"
Tel = (045)506-3323
Fax = (045)506-0189
(Takes over 2 weeks to finish and deliver)

These numbers connect to Yokohama numbers, which are on the outskirts of Tokyo - There's something called "Knife" magazine in Japan which where I found the info in the first place - publications in Japan tend to be fewer than in the US on any given subject so this one is pretty comprehensive. I'm pretty certain that their marketing department handles the orders so the poor guy can concentrate on making blades.

Try sending a fax first. If you do ever get to Japan, you'll probably end up in Tokyo first right? If you have time the Fukui prefectural government should have a tourist bureau in the city (I know the building, it's in Tokyo station and has all the prefectural government tourist bureaus) and they should be able to refer you to villages in the north with bladesmiths. If you can't make it there on your schedule (it's like going to Montana from LA, really) then they should be able to refer you to the bladesmiths directly.

I'll try to scan the pics of the blades (need to find a cybercafe) so you can take a look, but they're in the traditional Japanese style. Remember we're not talking katanas, but boar-hunting blades and salmon knives.

Anyways if you have trouble with the numbers or the fax, I'll try for you. Hope this helps. Wait a few days and I'll scan the pics. A hui hou

Page generated in 0.04030 seconds with 8 queries