View Single Post
Old July 13, 2007, 04:46 AM   #14
re_kenney

The affect of kinetic energy in bullets is tied (somewhat) to velocity.
The damage that occurs in an organic body due to the hole that was punched into it is permanent.

Now, having said this, there are hydrostatic consequences related to the event. Rounds that are traveling at or above Mach 2 (read 2,200 fps) will, as a consequence of their passage, distribute a shock wave that is violent enough to destroy tissue due to the shock wave alone. The "collateral" damage caused by the shock wave rolls off (almost logarithmically) as the velocity is reduced, so much so that projectiles at Mach 1 (read 1,100) experience almost no "benefit" from hydrostatic shock. The shock wave is still there, but the tensile strength of most organic substances (like muscles and organs) can stretch and recover from the shock wave without notable damage. (It takes Mach 2 to snap the rubber band). This is just a fact.

So, for most pistol cartridges, the concept of "energy dump" as a mechanism of destruction simply doesn't apply. The liver is less able to put up with compression and can be more readily damaged by lower velocity shock waves. Sadly, destroying the liver will not stop the vital functions needed for the bad guy to continue to operate (for at least a few hours).

Neurological or cardiovascular shut down is the only thing that a pistol round can do to "guarantee" an immediate cessation of the activities of any living entity so engaged.

Psychological factors kick in at some point. In simple terms some people can "take a hit" better than others. However, you can't depend on this. Pain, and the realization of "oh my God, I've been shot" may not be enough to stop your bad guy.

If you can effect damage to the heart, superior/inferior vena cava or aorta you stand a good chance of dealing with an adversary that will (no matter what) become incoherent in 10 to 15 seconds. Of course any neurological hit is probably an instant winner (if you can call it that).

It is what it is my friends.
Just remember, our deer rifles push bullets at Mach 2+ for a reason.

bob

Page generated in 0.03980 seconds with 8 queries