View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 07:02 AM   #19
rodfac

I've loaded my own for over 50 years now, cast my own bullets, bought jacketed ones for hunting etc. I'd view reloading your own ammunition as a demanding exercise in concentration. Over the years I've come to some hard and fast rules for survival of myself and my guns. By way of backround, here's my bonofides. I was trained as a civil engineer, but after a cpl tours in Vietnam, I spent nearly 40 years as a commercial airline pilot. I note this to explain that my professional life was spent in demanding occupations, where attention to detail, while still not losing the big picture was essential.

Reloading is dangerous, demands attention to the task, and like flying or work on the ocean, is terribly unforgiving of inattention or incompetence. Here are my loading shop safety practices.

I will not load if there are distractions in the shop...people, dogs, kids, wives, loud music, mental overload (worrying about job or family).
I won't shoot another person's loads...ever.
I don't pick up range brass....who knows how many times he's loaded it?
I use published data from several sources.
I have and use a chronograph to verify load levels vs. published velocities. This practice has alerted me to changing powder characteristics over the years...ie. current Unique is hotter than it used to be..same is true of 2400. Winchester 231 is slower, and is identical in current production to HP38.
I wear glasses 100% of the time while loading and shooting. This habit has saved my eyes 4 times now....PM if you want details.
I'm aware of any change in the way the press, scale, or primer seater feels as I complete the process. They'll tip you off to misaligned cases in a progressive press, over or under loads due to a piece of grit in the scales knife edge, and potential primer sympathetic detonation due to crushed, misaligned primers.

The key on all of this to remain aware...tuned to the process and press. Don't trust data...any data,...check it against other sources...typos due happen despite the loading manual's editors. Beware of old loading formulas...powders have changed. Read a lot...here and elsewhere, and note the good guys on line...some have really extensive experience...but as I know from 17,000 hours of flying...the newest, greenest guy in the other seat may see something that's gotten past you. Be ready to accept new viewpoints, but be critical in your thinking as to the newest, best, shiny theory.

HTH's Rod...admittedly a Geezer, but with both eyes and hands still in original (for the most part), condition.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Page generated in 0.03332 seconds with 8 queries