View Single Post
Old May 2, 2012, 01:18 AM   #9
Lee Lapin

I still suggest that, if you want to change out the factory forearm, you replace it with a Remington style law enforcement length (7") forearm. Forearm "bite" is only one reason... I've seen 870s 'bite' the palm or heel of shooters' hands when the forearm just barely overlapped the front of the receiver.

Feel the front edges of the bottom of the receiver on your Pardner...

No one wants to rain on anyone's parade, but significant bleeding on the firing line is not fun. Guns that break or don't run are not fun either. Which is why so many of us oldpharts keep saying that the less aftermarket stuff bolted on a serious shotgun, the better. Unless the plan is to shoot kewl-gun pictures and not shotgun shells.

The following, from oldphart trainer John Farnam:
==============================

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/28Mar12.html
Over-Bite!
28 Mar 12

Pump-shotgun over-bite:

At a Defensive Shotgun Course last weekend, a student brought a Mossberg 590. The factory forend had been replaced with an after-market one that featured rails on all three sides. To the bottom rail, the student had attached a vertical forend.

The gun ran fine, but the vertical forend broke-off within fifty rounds of enthusiastic firing. All too typical for vertical forends! So, the student simple defaulted to operating the forend in the conventional manner. The gun continued to run fine, until one of my instructors called me over to examine a finger injury that had been suffered by the student.

The student had a nasty gash in the tip of his left-side index finger. He was pretty tough, so we put a Bandaid on it, and he subsequently finished the Course, but I calculated that it would eventually required a suture, or two, to close the wound properly.

We quickly figured out what caused the finger-cut, and I should have caught it before we started. The after-market forend, as installed, produced a half-inch "over-bite" with the shotgun's receiver. That is, at its rearmost, the forend over-rode the receiver. The gap was tight, and the rail was sharp, as was the edge of the receiver!

When he operated the slide normally, my student got his finger next to the bottom/rear of the receiver, which (as noted above) also has a sharp edge, and the forend came back and trapped his finger there, causing the cut.
///SNIP

More quips'n'quotes at http://www.defense-training.com/quips/quips.html . People who supervise hundreds of students firing hundreds of thousands of rounds a year, every year, year after year, get a lot of insight into what works and what doesn't as far as equipment is concerned. I tend to listen to them.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Page generated in 0.04710 seconds with 8 queries