Thread: Family problems
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Tucker 1371

Family problems

I have been thinking about it quite a bit lately and I've realized that my current plan of response in an HD scenario doesn't take into account how other members of my family may be reacting to the situation and this could present a problem.

I am the oldest son and oldest gun owner in my family, home from college this summer. My 15 year old brother also has a few guns (not legally his yet). If I have to respond to a bump in the night my go to gun is a 5.45x39 AK kept on Condition 3 leaning next to my bed (would rather have a handgun or 12ga but money has not allowed).

Considering I will have to come downstairs to check out a disturbance my parents (who are downstairs) will probably already be out of their room for a look or even confronting an intruder.

Q #1: If my parents are already out and about (obviously they will be unarmed) and have confronted the intruder (which I know my father will if he is awake) who is not leaving the house but not threatening anyone should I enter the situation just to hold a gun on the guy while the LEOs respond for good measure or leave it alone and avoid escalating it?

If the guy is threatening anyone he is going to be shot if I have a clear shot. Period.

Also, my little brother (who has a Tapco'd SKS and 20ga shotgun) may want to help. I don't like the idea of this at all. He does not keep his cool very well and I can just picture myself taking a 7.62x39 round or some birdshot in the rear because of him (Yes he is familiar with the 4 rules and does a good job practicing them, it's other areas of his behavior that bother me, he tends to blow up in high stress situations). Ideally I would have him stay upstairs and make the 911 call, I trust him with that. Problem is he's hard to reason with and arguing with him will waste valuable time and likely make noise.

Q #2: Should I let him come (with warning of course) or try to make him stay upstairs?

To the mods: I read the sticky about the endless asinine scenarios. The above is a genuine concern for me so if you will please allow it to be addressed.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Page generated in 0.03065 seconds with 8 queries