Thread: New project gun
View Single Post
Old March 10, 2018, 04:55 PM   #2
RC20

I have built 3 Savages up to target type, used Boyds stocks.

I really like it a lot self satisfaction and being free of a gun smith.

I shoot a lot and I will wear a barrel out in 4 or 5 years at the rate I shoot. Big aspect was not to invest into something I could not replace without big gun smith fees and all the annoyance of dealing with someone.

The 06 came with the featherweight thumbhole (BTH under Savage listing). Its why I bought it, had a pencil barrel that was replaced with a Shilen. Also a no name rail that works fine.

I got an EABS stock that is ok once it was bedded, would not buy another one.

I got another Boyds heavy Varmint Thumbhole, its fine but I like the Lightweight better.

I put a bull on that lightweight, opened up the channel and its my most consistent shooting gun. No bedding needed.

I did open up the rear tang on both Boyds as there was some contact there.

Opening up the barrel channel is easy. The Bull in the thi9nnker light weight stock worked fine and the Varmint TH was a varmint contour and easily opened up a bit more for the bull on that one.

Getting the nut off is some and some. One was stuck on good, the other two came off fine, one with no segments I used a pipe wrench on and no issue.

I got an aftermarket nut for one, used the Savage nuts for the other two.

I don't know the aftermarket lugs do anything but you have to open up the stock a bit for them as they are thicker.

I would get the 1 inch pad, after shooting a lot it is huge help. I like the Kick Eeze over the Limbsaver.

Mine all shoot under 1 MOA, good loads I am under 1/2 MOA (and I am shooting good that day)

So far I like Shilen and Lothar Walther pre fit barrels. Criterion is reputed to be in Shilen class (they lap them so they clean up easier)

There is one outfit called Apache that finishes barrels from XC and others. I would stay a long way away from that type, more better to have the factory do the barrel and the cutting of threads and chamber.

Jim at NSS is great to deal with.

NSS has the best action vice if you go that way and by far the best nut wrench with both sizes of nut segments and square cut outs you can put a torque wrench on or an extension wrench to break the first nut loose (Axis is likely smooth)

I was torqueing my barrel nuts to spec but I have gone to doing it by feel now.

Page generated in 0.02611 seconds with 8 queries