View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013, 11:22 PM   #41
tahunua001

Quote:
Second...most ammunition companies, do not make cartridges that are loaded with premium bullets for the 7.62X54, such a the Barnes, Accubond, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Nosler Partition, etc, etc; which I would use for bear. You can probably handload them, but I would stick with a much more modern rifle or pistol against bears; that are loaded with premium bullets.
in a 30 cal at close range premium bullet selection is not very critical. I don't put much stock in premium bonded bullets anymore anyway. I used accubonds to take my black bear. at 100 yards the bullet was only traveling about 2,000 FPS when the recommended minimum for accubonds is 1800 before they no longer expand. the bullet split in half and both halves immediately deflected to 90 degree angles from impact. this is a bullet that is supposed to have 'superior weight retention and exceptional expansion'. I'd just as soon just go with a decent soft point which is not that hard to get for a 7.62x54R.

you do bring up a good point, if the bear's in the living room then you probably do not want to be swinging a gun as long as a 91/30 around the house trying to get it to leave.

Page generated in 0.02605 seconds with 8 queries