View Single Post
Old February 27, 2011, 10:34 AM   #35
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

DNS,

I guess i just have a poor grasp of the English language. I thought that:

it does not seem like = I'm not sure,

...where both imply an uncertainty on my part about the actions of the described subject, allowing for the fact that "does not seem like" asserts more confidence than "not sure", which suggests more overall ambivalence. So to continue this semantic debate, please posit your theory contradicting my hypothesis that these two phrases are substantially the same in meaning based on the currently applied context.

As to the inherent danger, you specifically say,
Quote:
The OP mentioned no issues with safety being compromised.
You're right, the OP does not explicitly say that subject was dangerous. In my initial reading, it seemed like the OP was being overly critical but upon further consideration I have decided not to equivocate any longer! No more "unsure", no more "does not seem likely". I will take a stand!

Quote:
Second, he was close to falling over backwards, and had he done so, I highly doubt he would have had either the presence of mind or even the common sense knowledge to take his finger outside of the trigger guard to avoid accidental discharge as he fell.
The subject in question was being fooling. Being foolish with a firearm is dangerous. Ergo, the "gang-banger" was being dangerous! [Flourish of horns and cheers follows here...]

I would argue that someone whose stance is so improper as to cause them to fall over with their trigger on the finger is being dangerous. Do you disagree? Is this a stance you practice? To be clear, the subject did not fall over. But the potential for him to fall over existed and he was utilizing a very poor stance that could not provide secure control of his firearm.

For hypothetical consideration: If you place a loaded gun on the kitchen table in front of a 5 year old and leave the room, is this dangerous? Even if the kid has not touched the gun before you left the room? (Answer: most certainly and without a doubt YES)

The point being that something or someone can go from foolish to dangerous and/or deadly in a split second which is why gun safety (or defensive driving or safety with tools, ladders, knives, swimming pools, etc.) is so important. From now I consider anyone being foolish with a gun to be considered dangerous.

Page generated in 0.03425 seconds with 8 queries