View Single Post
Old December 8, 2010, 04:16 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It looks as if the Federal small primer pockets are "blessed" with a "heavy military style primer crimp". I'm not sure what that means, but it likely means more work for the handloader, I'd guess.

After reading all this, it bothers me even more that this ammo is not marked as different in any way, at least not on the box that I purchased.
I understand your frustration but you must also understand that factory ammo is not built to be reloaded. They don't care if you can reload it or not. If you want to be sure of having usable components then you have to buy bare components. The company can not reasonably be expected to print on the box "By the Way, if you intend to reload these cases then don't buy this box."

You're correct that a military primer crimp will mean more work for you. I've read that some decapping dies can handle the military primer without any extra work and some can't. I never paid any attention to which. There is also a tool for removing the crimp, though I also never paid any attention to it or how it's used.

Page generated in 0.03446 seconds with 8 queries