View Single Post
Old December 17, 2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Daugherty16

Vehicle Prep

Most cars these days have an option you can set to auto lock your doors when you begin rolling. I used to turn mine off, but not any more. I like that security and especially in my wife's car.

I always keep a hitch and ball on my truck - helps create space in parking lots, as nobody will creep up so close and kiss your bumper when they risk skewering their radiator. Same reason - in traffic - if you have to ram someone in reverse, this all but guarantees their radiator, and if you're really lucky their oil cooler - will be severely damaged. They won't be able to follow for long.

non-aggressive driving - funny but ever since i got my CCW and began to realize what it really meant, i drive slower, don't flip people off, don't even cuss at other drivers any more. In essence, i am more calm / less volatile. I don't want to have an argument that escalates into worse, so now i just don't have the arguments. For driving, this translates into staying in the travel lane except to pass - except perhaps in LA where anything goes. Don't flash your brights on the guy who just cut you off. Don't ride someone's bumper trying to make them speed up. Let people merge in front of you when that makes sense. in other words, drive with some extra courtesy.

All of the usual precautions about creating space and exit strategies are as appropriate in your car as they are on foot.

What else? Oh yeah, keep your car in good shape so if you ever really need to blast off to save your butt, the car can do it!
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.

Page generated in 0.02605 seconds with 8 queries