View Single Post
Old March 22, 2015, 09:05 AM   #29
Vt.birdhunter

Snuffy,

I was an environmental consultant for 20 years.
Among the sites I remediated were shooting ranges. Just the slight pH change that occurs from acid rain (about 7-5.5) is enough to cause migration of lead into the water table.
Backstop sand used to be sifted at local ranges to stay within parameters set by our DEC. A friend of mine was given a patent for a hopper system that distributes lime into the backstop sand raising the soil pH enough where acid rain can not leach material from the lead. Material is processed as pH drops.

Stomach acid is on the same order of strength as battery acid. It contains hydrochloric acid, a strong acid. As you mentioned, lead reacts with HCL. It is far stronger than acid rain.

For centuries lead was consumed for is supposed sweet flavor. It was mixed with wine to make "sweet wine". The Romans drank from lead lined pipes and drinking vessels. Side effects of lead poisoning are considered a contributing factor in the fall of the roman empire.

One the main vectors among inner city children for lead poisoning is consuming flakes of deteriorating paint from the walls due to its "sweet" flavor.

Long story short: Its not safe to eat lead

Page generated in 0.02484 seconds with 8 queries