View Single Post
Old October 16, 2007, 09:00 PM   #1
ZeSpectre

Product testing and review: Gunzilla

Although this is a continuation of the testing begun in the "What lube is this" thread, in order to avoid some confusion I'm starting this new thread.

A new CLP (Clean Lube Protect) product was mentioned on in the "Gunzilla" thread. As with the introduction of Weapon Shield I told the poster that if they supplied me with a sample I'd be more than happy to test and review. I received my sample today (Oct 16, 2007) and proceeded to detail clean a brand new shotgun barrel (fresh from the package, grease and all), an older stainless steel Ruger Security Six, and a Taurus PT-1911 pistol.

The first part of this review is only concerned with "C" as in CLEAN.

Gunzilla is a thin liquid that smells (to me) like vegetable oil. My sample came in a nice little 2oz spray bottle (the sort that a very light press will give you a stream and a hard press will give you a spray). The bottle made it very easy to saturate patches for cleaning.

I had just bought a brand new "rifled slug" barrel for my shotgun so I pulled it out of the packaging (grease and all) and cleaned it with Gunzilla.

The top row of patches is were used on the outside of the barrel, the bottom row used on the inside.

Gunzilla cut right through the grease and crap inside and out. It also seemed to remove a bit of surface rust around the screw knob. As I was running the final patch through the inside of the barrel something happened that I have never had occur before... the barrel SQUEAKED! Seriously, it was quite literally "squeaky clean"!

Gunzilla also had no trouble cleaning all (and I do mean all) of the crud off my stainless security six and again the final patch passed through the barrel (on a jag) squeaked! About the only thing it seemed that Gunzilla couldn't remove were the rings on the face of the cylinder though I doubt anything short of a "pink pearl" eraser would do that.

The Taurus PT-1911 was an easy cleanup and wipedown as it was actually already clean.

So gunzilla is off to an impressive start in the cleaning department. The misting spray makes it easy to get all over the gun (and everything else if you aren't careful) and then you wipe it all up and that's pretty much it. Wipedown left the guns feeling lightly lubricated. Actual lubrication ability will be tested next.

Cleanup was nice. Gunzilla washed easily off of my hands with soap and water and although the "vegetable oil" scent did linger it was not unpleasant.

Next step... the range and an assessment of lubrication performance....

Last edited by ZeSpectre; October 16, 2007 at 09:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.04380 seconds with 8 queries