View Single Post
Old May 11, 2013, 09:26 AM   #75
Gaerek

Quote:
I'm not sure that 3D printed single shot small caliber pistols that require a several thousand dollar 3D printer to create are truly a larger problem than AKs that are available anywhere and everywhere for just a few bucks.
I think you might also be missing the point.

1) 3D printers are CHEAP compared to what they cost even 3 years ago. I mentioned in another post that I played with one back in 2000 that cost around $250,000 and wasn't nearly as good as the ones you can get for $2000 today. And the models that cost around $2000 today...they cost 10x that just three years ago. You can also buy entry level 3D printers for around $500 and they have all the capability you need to produce this pistol. In 5 years, we'll be looking at entry level printers in the $150 range, and better models (like the $2000 model) in the $300-500 range...or lower.

2)Yep, this gun is single shot. Yep, they only (well, all they've told us, anyway) fired a small caliber (.380) round. But this is a proof of concept. For decades, the idea of an all plastic gun has been ridiculed. It's been called impossible. Yet here we have an all plastic gun that fired a bullet. We know it can work; it's just a matter of time before new models are designed that have features more closely resembling modern guns.

3) The anti's are already afraid of this tech. They're introducing legislation to stop it. Why? Because their eventual goal is 100% confiscation eventually (regardless of what they tell us). This technology circumvents any kind of confiscation scheme. It blurs the lines between the 1st Amendment (it's just a blueprint, made of 1's and 0's...so restricting it would be censorship) and the 2nd Amendment (it's a gun).

Page generated in 0.02737 seconds with 8 queries