View Single Post
Old March 9, 2013, 01:33 PM   #43
TimSr

Neither are adequate in real world hunting. Sure with accurrate shot placement under ideal conditions, and within range, both will do the job, but even the most skilled marksmen rarely see perfect shot placement when its not on a bench rest and paper target standing perfectly still at the exact angle you placed it. In Ohio the .223 is a groundhog gun, and the .357 is for burglars.

I am a longtime handgun hunter. When Ohio legalized my .454 Casull for deer, I dropped my Ruger Redhawk .44 Mgnum instantly. Good cartridge, but still light duty for whitetails from a 7 2/2" barrel.

Get the .30-30 lever gun in case that desired perfect shot placement doesn't happen. If you want to go with the pistol catridge, go with the .44 Magnum or larger (.444). recoil from a .44 Mag rifle is relatively mild.

With any pistol hunting round, avoid comercial soft lead semi-jacketed hollow point man rounds. Used premium limited expansion hunting bullets, and the heaviest available such as Hornady XTP, or even a cast semi-wadcutter that is more likely to leave and exit wound.

Page generated in 0.03448 seconds with 8 queries