View Single Post
Old September 15, 2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Scouse

Kraigwy - as I understood it, the official method for working the bolt on the Enfield was to grip the end of the bolt handle between the bent forefinger and the thumb. If done properly it is just as quick as slapping with the palm and actually results in less wasted momentum - you still have the efficient single motion with that flick of the wrist, just greater control and without the chance of your sweaty palm slipping off the bolt handle and gouging it on the magazine cut-off or something.

This was told to me by a gent who collects and studies Lee Enfields who I met at Bisley while researching my dissertation on The Battle Of Mons, which has been mentioned. I always pictured beforehand, people working bolt actions with the palm, like you said. However personally, I found the thumb and bent forefinger method most natural - it only came up when I fired a string like that and he commented that most people palm the bolt unless told otherwise.

That said, your experience with rifles is vastly greater than my own, just thought I would mention it.

EDIT - I see Mike Irwin has already mentioned the thumb and forefinger method, my bad, didn't read properly apparently!

Page generated in 0.02570 seconds with 8 queries