View Single Post
Old February 23, 2019, 05:17 AM   #43
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
If you are going for 1200 fps, why not back off a bit and go subsonic on such a noisy, concussive cartridge? I am using Brian Pearce's subsonic load with Power Pistol, 100 gr lead. That makes it a carry gun for those concerned about needing ear protection. You could say the same about .357 Magnum.
Real Gun, I use these because a reliably expanding 85-grain hollow-point of that size and sectional density traveling at around 1200 fps feels like a sweet spot for me in a gun of that size with the amount of recoil it produces. It's like the porridge that Goldilocks thought was "just right". A big part of why I like .327 Federal so much is that it hits a sweet spot here with the LCR and also in the 4" SP101 with the hotter and heavier loads.

Sure, it's loud. Of course, almost any concealable firearm is going to be loud. Any one of them can damage your hearing, especially when firing from a short barrel, or in a small space, or right next to your face. The reality is that none of us want to be involved in a messy and unpredictable defensive encounter where we need our firearm. On the off chance that we are, we want that firearm to be as effective as possible (within the spectrum of what we'll be likely to carry). We all need to understand that we could suffer a little hearing loss, get otherwise injured, or end up facing all sorts of legal and financial trouble regardless of actual facts. The first goal is to survive.

It might also be worth pointing out that while short-term exposure to loud noise is bad, it isn't as bad as repeated or prolonged exposure. Concerns in this area should first be applied to our regular recreation and practice.

Quote:
... have you found a source for the 85 or 100-gr soft point bullets? I have everything I need to handload for .327, but have not been able to find those.
No, littlebikerider. I hate to say it but I shoot factory ammo. Those loads from American Eagle still tend to be the most affordable. I stock up when I catch a deal. I usually buy at $22.50 per box of fifty but I occasionally find them for $20.

Page generated in 0.02525 seconds with 8 queries